A massive fire has completely destroyed the clubhouse at Beaverbrook Golf Club in Surrey.

The emergency services were alerted just before 10pm last night (March 7) after the fire was discovered. Surrey Fire and Rescue Service rushed to the scene but little could be done to save the burning structure or its basement.

Specialist crew and eight engines arrived at the Leatherhead-based club within just minutes, but some are still there this morning. Investigations are continuing today into what could have sparked the enormous blaze which raised the historic building to the ground.

A source at the club, which opened in 2016, said: “The fire has significantly damaged the clubhouse, but thankfully nobody was hurt. It did not affect the hotel, the spa, the restaurant or the pro shop, so they have been able to open as normal today.”

Jorge de Jesus, Beaverbrook’s Group General Manager, thanked the emergency services for their swift help. He said: ‘I want to express our deepest gratitude to the Surrey Fire & Rescue Service for their professional response.”